Sunday, November 9, 2014

Halloween 2014

Halloween is one of my all time favorite holidays! It's a time that you can pretend to be someone else. And let's not forget all that candy, especially the chocolate.

Years ago, too many to mention, I began a tradition of creating American Girl outfits to match my niece's Halloween outfits. the AG look-a-like costumes were never completed for Halloween but instead became Christmas gifts. Some years it was quite a challenge to find the right matching material and accessories. Often the cost of the AG design was comparable to the cost of the child costume!

Throughout the years of my niece's trick-or-treating, I've designed and sewn  a bunny, cheerleading, Wizard of Oz Dorothy and my favorite, Jasmin from Disney's Aladdin outfits. I've looked through hundreds of pictures but only found two to scan from all those years ago--the cheerleading and Jasmin costume.


Note I also made a matching Barbie outfit

My favorite but most challenging

As my niece no longer goes trick-or-treating, I'm continuing the tradition with my granddaughter. For the last few years, she's been various Disney princesses: Aurora from Snow White, Tinkerbell, and for this year, Merida from Brave. With the awful Halloween weather the last couple years, her Mom had her use the costumes multiple years. She never complained since she was always a princess! I'm now in the process of hunting for the just right material to create the matching Merida costume and finding it next to impossible! I think I may purchase a child's size Brave costume just for the material and trims!!
Aurora from Snow White

Belle from Beauty and the Beast

Tinkerbell
The wings on L's Tinkerbell costume actually lit up but for the AG costume, I just added "jewels."

No comments:

Post a Comment