Saturday, January 3, 2015

Merida Brave's AG Girl Saga

L in Merida costume

Every Christmas, I sew a matching dress for L's American Girl doll that matches her Halloween costume. This year she was Merida, a Disney princess from Brave. She wanted Merida instead of Elsa from  Frozen because she was a strong princess who didn't wear makeup!

 Who knew this year's costume would cause me so much angst!

Problem #1: To begin with, I couldn't find similar material anywhere. I tried every fabric store within a 30 mile radius, but no luck. Finally, I ended up ordering a Merida costume. Of course, it was significantly past Halloween and the only size I could find was a small (I was hoping to order a large size thinking I could make another similar dress to sell). 

Problem #2: No one sold a Merida pattern; not even anything close. So, I adapted a bodice and skirt from another pattern. Just had to create the front bodice V-insert and the sleeve inserts.

Problem #3: I had to deconstruct the purchased costume and hope for enough material. Undoing the dress was tedious; not difficult but what a mess it made with small pieces of thread everywhere! There was plenty of material for the skirt and overskirt but barely enough for the bodice. Seems multi-sized costumes use stretch material for the back bodice rather than the velour used for the front.

Problem #4: Time, time, time and then some more time. I never did complete the AG costume for Christmas. It has now become a New Year's gift.

Problem #5: With only one last trim to sew, I misplaced the last bit of gold rick rack needed. I looked all over for it around my sewing area. Wasted hours looking for it and finally, decided it was a lost cause. Thankfully, the next morning my daughter found it and the costume was finished!!!!

I'm very happy with the results but...what I've learned from this:

For craft shows, I'm going to draft a Merida dress pattern that is similar to the movie dress rather than L's Halloween costume. It has to be easier!!
Closeup of Bodice
Gown Merida's




No comments:

Post a Comment